Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Disclaimer

I don't really know how you feel. The jury is out on caring.

Although Virgos apparently have intuitive feelings about other people, and are able to sense a divine presence within themselves. This is what I learned from the horoscope man at work. Staff members get free readings, so I went on my break to see what was up. Apparently, Pluto is in my ascending. And plans to be for quite some time. Meaning that I'm going through intense transformations. Of course, this could be the whole 18-21 year old phase. And I never said I'd believe in astrology. But, it was amusing. More amusing than church, I promise you.

I have spent a good deal of time reading some interesting blogs about evil, stupid customers at Starbucks, south Florida japanese restaurants, and classy bistros in NYC. All very amusing, all harping on that unfortunate class of person known as the entitled yuppie, SUV driving soccer mom or senile old person who enjoys yelling at foodservice employees over their own daunting stupidity.

Seriously, I wonder if the offenders ever read about themselves on a blog, or realize that there is life behind the counter; yes, that is a living, breathing person with feelings, no, they don't want to remake your triple americano with nonfat/soy foam for the fourth time, and they are handling your food, why are you being a bitch to them?

I mean, the worst thing I had happen to me since I got back from vacation was this old guy who spilled a cup of coffee in front of the bakery case, and then was mad when I charged him for the coffee and the coffee cake, since he had apparently paid for the coffee already. But I hadn't remembered ringing him up.

Apparently there's this one lady who will make you cry if you get her smoothie wrong; too much cranberry juice and it has no flavor, and you are therefore the scum of the earth. She's one of the sandal-with-sock, bad makeup, two-piece cardigan with matching pants and string purse type ladies, hat optional. Bitchiness, imminent.

There is also a woman who decided to take it upon herself to come in a few times a week and organize our half-used coupon books into a little box, with each coupon neatly cut out and organized by item. She has somehow gotten my supervisor to give her a free vegetable drink for doing this...and has befriended another string-purse and sandal woman. Together, they camp out in front of the hot bar until 8 pm, sampling everything so they know what to get for half price. Then, they bitch about us throwing away what's left at 8:15. They stay in the cafe forever, as I'm trying to put up tables. The other night, they were talking about their first dates, or boyfriends....it was not a topic I wanted to hear while scraping unidentified food objects off the vinyl seats.

No comments: