Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blueberries, etc.

There's a family down the road that has a U-Pick blueberry stand. One of the great things about this area is that I called them on a Sunday afternoon to ask if I could pick berries, and even though they weren't technically open they said yes.


Then I went and picked like 10 lbs and didn't have enough cash and they were totally fine with it.





They had these two adorable children - ages 3 and 5- who accompanied us to the berry field and chatted up a storm.

Later, I made blueberry "galette". It's not the most beautiful thing in the world, but it does have a stick of butter in it, so it was GOOD.



Galette pre-baking.





It's kind of funny because everyone has been mentioning where they got cheap blueberries in town (I can think of three separate occasions where this happened) and I just think to myself, "HAH! I got mine for $3.50/lb, not $2 a pint..." But I don't share, because not everyone lives 10 minutes away from blueberry bushes, and that would make them sad. We still have two huge bags in the freezer. If I start eating oatmeal in the AM again, I'll use them.

Another new thing I tried was making foods with coconut milk. I made a coconut curry, I guess, using curry powder. But I added too much and the second tablespoon didn't really dissolve which made the dish grainy. There could have been a greater depth of flavor.



Speaking of depth of flavor I also made macaroni and cheese following an alton brown recipe to the letter. I'm not sure if it was the bay leaf, the powdered mustard, or the paprika, but OH MY WORD that was addicting.

Right now I'm making no-knead bread to go with the oodles of local hummus that I have in the fridge. I also just need to buy more vegetables which I haven't.

No comments: