Sunday, July 25, 2010

Farmers Market

Living at home, where some of my food is purchased for me and other foods are not, makes my food purchasing a little more difficult. Ergo, if I buy organic half and half, it will get used up, but if I buy vegetables, they often go to waste, because I'm the only one eating them/often come home with the intention of eating them and instead find some delicious food already on the table.

That's what happened with the bunch of kale I brought home- only half of it became kale chips because there was already good corn on the cob to be had. Then the second half went limp the second day. Sad times.


I also made and roasted purple-yellow-orange carrots, and blue potatoes, which were starchier than I had expected, but when thinly sliced were an exact replicla of the Terra Blues that you buy in the store or get for free on a JetBlue flight (are they still doing that?)

My list of future to-make dishes include a tomato gratin from Ina Garten, a zucchini-ricotta galette from Smitten Kitchen, and oh yeah, some vegan corn dogs from SuperVegan. I probably have the weirdest food preferences "Cheap/organic/whole dishes, and also vegan junk food. Oh, and coffee. But only the good kind, like an americano that is perfect with just a little soymilk."

Anyway, I cannot wait to see the food scene in California. I hope there are really year round farmers markets??

No comments: